Call Now: 254-947-9268


Frequently asked questions will be posted here.  To ask a question, use the CONTACT link above. 

Q:  How do I find my division or district?

A:  Go to>  login > click Forms and Reports > Click Division-District Reports > Click OAP > Click Show report (at the top).
If you do not have TAPPSter access yet: Go to > Click Continue as Guest > Click Division-District Reports > Click OAP > Click Show report (at the top).
Q:  I don’t have access to, how can I get access?
A: Your school administrator, Fine Arts Director, or Athletic Director can set you up in TAPPSter.  They need to assign you a login and password as well as list you as the Head or Assistant OAP Director. 
Q:  What is the September 15 Script Submission Form Deadline?  

A:   The Script Submission form is submitted to confirm that your school’s show has the approval of your administration and meets TAPPS standards and requirements.  September 15 is also the deadline to submit requests to TAPPS to read scripts and to comment on questions you may have regarding appropriateness of the script.  There is a $50 reading fee if a script is submitted for review.  
Q:  I cannot find rules governing the use of music pieces in the play.

A: Rules regarding music, special effects, props, lighting, costuming and set are all under Section 254 in the by-laws. 
Q: It appears as though the contest manager is a VIP. Does TAPPS have a list of possible contest mangers in this area?

A:  TAPPS has a list of who were Contest Managers last year.  You may also check with others in your district to see who has contest managed in their past contests and see if they are available.  If not, you might check with the state oap committee member who is closest to your area. They might be able to recommend someone.  Texas Theater Adjudicators Organization has a list that you can use to find someone in your area.  You need to let the contest manager know that TAPPS rules are a little different, but less stressful, than UIL rules.
Q:  What is the difference between the contest manager and the technical manager?
A:  The contest manager supervises/runs the rehearsals & the contest in addition to being the direct liaison with the judge.  The technical director handles introducing the directors/crews to the light and sound equipment, teaching them how to use them in rehearsal and are available to supervise during the shows in case there is an unexpected problem.  They do not work the cues for shows.
Q:  What is a recommended fee for a contest manager?  
A:  $50-$75 fee per school for the CM to do both the rehearsal and the performance.  So for 4 schools, a minimum $200.  A CM might want more especially if it takes two full days.  The district should decide the maximum amount willing to pay and negotiate with that decision.
Q:   Is the technical director someone who is usually already associated with the facility I rent or do I need to bring someone else in?  
A:  You need to ask if a technical director is available at the facility for both rehearsal and performance days and what their fee will be.   Since it is the facilities equipment, we highly recommend having someone familiar with their specific system.  Include their fee in your district participation fees.
Q:  Who finds the judge?
A:  The TAPPS Office will secure all the judges.  Schools will be charged a judge fee at the end of the season.  
Q:  What are some examples of miscellaneous fees not included in our contract payment?
A:  Anything that is an expense for running/hosting the District Contest:  Venue, Contest Manager, Technical Director, Hospitality for the Directors’ Meeting and for the judge, meals for volunteers, cost of xeroxing program, box office change if you charge, etc.   You may offset the district expenses by charging admission.  There will also be a judges fee at the end of the season invoiced to the schools to cover the cost of judges.  
Q:  The rules say we cannot have items on caster/wheels.  Can we have a cart for our projector or special effects such as fog or for props?
A:  Casters may not be added to set pieces.  If a set piece was originally manufactured with wheels or casters, they may remain on the piece.  You will need to lift the item into place and avoid rolling through spike tape.  Carts for backstage props, projectors, special effects are permissible but may not be rolled through spike tape.
Q:  Can we use some acting cubes instead of chairs for set pieces?  They would be sitting and sometimes standing on them. 
A:  You may use acting cubes in the same ways you might use chairs (sitting, standing); however, you cannot stack them to build wall units or pylons.  They should not be painted solid grey so there is not confusion with the unit set. 
Q:  Can we use capitals on top of pylons? 
A:  Yes, but for safety concerns, they should not exceed 1′ each side. 
Q:  Is there a “classics” exception to the prohibited topics such as suicide?  
A:  No, there is not exception in the current by-laws. 
Q: How many schools will advance to the State Championship Meet?
A:  For 2018, with 4 districts in each of our 3 divisions, the District Champion (1st place) and the District Runner-up (2nd place) will advance to the State Championship.  The State Championship will have a total of 8 schools with 2 schools representing each district.  
Q: When will the schedule be posted for the State Championship Meets?
A:  The schedules for the Championship Meet are posted on each Division OAP page using place holders (Div 2, District 1, 1st place).  Actual school names will be filled in after district meets are certified. 
Q: What does it mean “Additions to the unit set are not allowed”?
A:  The allowable pieces to the unit set are listed in by-laws section 254.  You may not bring any extra unit set pieces in addition to those listed.  Ex.  The set allows two standard doors and a french door.  You may not bring additional doors.  The set allows two 4’x8′ platforms. You may not build and bring additional 4’x8′ platforms. Part of the balance in the contest is to use the same unit set pieces as others and not to go beyond the allowance.  
Q: What does it mean “Modifications to the unit set are not allowed”?
A:  Examples of modifications include but are not limited to painting, using nails or screws or staples, etc.   You may use capitals on pylons that set on top but are not nailed or screwed on.  You may not paint your own unit set pieces and use in place of the ones provided.  At district you may need to bring your own but it must be the same grey as the official unit set pieces. 

Sorry, comments for this entry are closed at this time.