Athletic Directors, Coaches and Sponsors:
As we move forward towards the summer and fall, there have been many questions presented to the TAPPS staff and Board regarding honors for those Spring activities that were cancelled by the COVID-19 crisis. After much deliberation and review, the TAPPS Executive Board affirmed the following policy for the 2019-2020 school year.
- Submission Deadline – May 15, 2020
- Henderson Cup – for the 2019-20 school year, TAPPS will not award the Henderson Cup, nor the overall awards for schools earning the most points in fine arts, boys athletics and girls athletics.
- TAPPS of the Year Awards – for the 2019-20 school year, TAPPS will not sponsor these awards for fine arts and athletics.
- All District Awards – with various levels of completion in the Spring sports there was no opportunity to create a level playing field for these awards. Therefore, TAPPS will not sponsor these awards for fine arts and athletics.
- Academic All State Awards – For the 2019-20 Spring Sports, TAPPS will amend the published standards for qualification of these awards. The award will remain for Junior and Senior students whose cumulative GPA exceeds 90 as required by TAPPS governance. For the Spring athletes and fine art students affected by the crisis, each school may nominate up to the number of students outlined below on the form linked below.
- Baseball / Softball up to 5 students in each sport
- Tennis up to 3 students each for boys and girls
- Golf up to 3 students each for boys and girls
- Track up to 5 students each for boys and girls
- Fine Arts up to 5 students each activity
Click here to make Spring 2019-2020 Academic All State Submissions
These difficult decisions were made with the understanding that a third of the contests were unable to compete to a conclusion. We all look towards a return to more normal times as school resumes in the fall.
If questions arise, please contact the TAPPS office at [email protected].